Cobalt Health has an open extremity Carestream Cone Beam CT scanner, which started service in September 2017. There is also a Cone Beam CT scanner available at St Luke's Radiology in Headington, Oxford, and at Cavendish Imaging in Harley Street, London.
The Cone Beam CT scanner is very fast, easy to use and more comfortable for patients, particularly when scanning in weight-bearing positions. There is plenty of room as you only have to put your arm or leg in the scanner. It can provide high quality 3D
images and is excellent at reducing artefact from orthopaedic
Summary of benefits of the Cone Beam CT Scanner:
- Patient friendly, comfortable, and low cost
- Weight-bearing images for knee/foot/ankle - comparison with non-weight-bearing scans
- High image quality with short scan times of 25 seconds
- Lower dose than conventional CT scans, and dose is comparable with some x-rays
- Field of view can be altered to focus on specific areas, and to reduce dose
- 2D and 3D image capability - will also produce an image like a standard x-ray.
- Metal artefact reduction helps in assessment of knee and ankle replacements
- Metal artefact reduction also helps in assessing healing fractures next to metal plates
- Assessment and follow up of arthritis.
- Assessment of trauma and healing of previous fractures
- Assessment of impingement, which can be done with weight-bearing images
- Use in one stop clinics instead of plain films to improve clinic efficiency
- Helpful for research in designing joint replacements with 3D printing
For further information click on this link: Cobalt Cone Beam CT Information
Or click on this link for: St Lukes' Radiology Cone Beam CT in Oxford